Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Attitude

Attitude-------I keep hearing this word more & more frequently used these days. Really, when I was young (not that I'm too old now), this word was never heard. Especially, I have not heard people say "you have an attitude". The first time someone remarked this to me, I looked up the dictionary to see if am following it right. I am not so bad in understanding English, but certain phrases really makes you THINK.

Ofcourse, I have an attitude. So does a chair. The attitude defines the character of a person or a thing. I recently saw a video where Rahul Dravid mentions, it is because of Virat's aggressive attitude he is a great player. And the same aggression would not be a good attitude if followed by Rahul, as it is not "his" attitude.

How very clearly pointed out by the Wall! I might be a snooty person, I may be short tempered, I may be an Irritating person. (Doesn't mean that I am all this....just to show as an example ;) ). But that defines me & as a whole, all these individual attitudes, makes the real great person that I am. (Yes, I am really great ;) ).

I still can't understand why people say "You have an attitude". What do they actually mean by that? Do they mean that "I don't like you?" Or "I am scared of you" or "we will not gel well" or "You are really awesome"???

I have to quote this. My mom-in-law, who is not so good in english, once quoted to me "enakku andha manushan oda attitude pidikala maa". Meaning she didn't like so & so's attitude. Very clear usage of the word, with a very distinct message.

So, when people, well educated in English medium says "you have an attitude", what are they actually trying to prove???? I really wish I get a satisfactory reply on this, & an end to my serious understanding problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment