Sunday, July 26, 2020

Self Respect!

Uff….its been 3 yrs since I wrote “And so....the fight.............continues.........” & it still continues. How many ever close friends I have, no one can upbeat my own self. I am my most “bestest” friend. As I have already mentioned in 2017, my other self & I talk a lot. But during these covid days, this crazy best friend of mine has become even more talkative.

As it is, we don’t like advices. When your friend advises you, you have a choice to start day-dreaming & keep your face still as if you are listening. But you know! That is not possible with this stupid “Myself” friend. It knows when I am day-dreaming & gives me a sharp jab to ask me to start listening to her.

So one day we were discussing about “Self-Respect” I hope you have got it right – I was discussing with “My-self” or you may call it my Alter-ego!

The topic came up when I heard someone say that “it was the matter of Self-Respect, that I had to walk away”. So this became our strong topic for the day…..not so lucky…I should say, topic for the next few mins.

My Alter Ego was applauding the person who walked away giving respect to their “Self-Respect”.

I couldn’t agree to it! My argument was – why should Self respect of a person be affected if someone says something rude?? Ideally what is self-respect? Respecting one self, isn’t it?

So this became our conversation…

AE : So, if someone insults you, you will take it?

ME : Depends on who is insulting me, if it is someone I love, I will ignore. If it is someone I rather not like, then I will say some insults. It also depends on my mood for that moment. But I will not lose my self-respect, whatever I do!

AE : Exactly…You will fight for your self-respect!

ME : I didn’t mean that, whether I fight or not, my self-respect will not be a factor that decides my action. Also, whatever action I take, it will, in no way, affect my self-respect!

AE : How can you say that?

ME : I respect myself, in-spite of what others think/say about me. My respect for me is not at all dependent on that! Only my action, if it is against my conscience will ever dent my self-respect. But as long as I keep the conscience satisfied, my Self-respect will remain intact!

I was able to shut my AE for sometime. What do you all think? Will some rude words bring down your self-respect??

 


2 comments: