Sunday, August 16, 2020

Retirement!

I always wanted to retire when I become 40. Raja & I always argue about the age of retirement, so he has somehow persuaded me to go on until I am 45. But being at home all these days, I am thankful I have agreed to extend my retirement age to 45! God Knows what I will become, just doing nothing! More than me, I think my husband is blessed that I am not thinking of retirement, ‘cause, he is my sounding board right…..What all I blabber to him just being at home during these COVID Days, I am sure if this extends beyond a certain period, Raja would need assistance just cos of handling me!!!

If me, a normal person, whose work means something to only a very handful of  people, go through such drama being a little less occupied, what would Icons like Dhoni undergo? I am just putting him in my shoes, though I am sure, he belongs to a totally different kind of shoes, still, wouldn’t he have a little mental discomfort to stop doing what he did for atleast 15+ years? He would have stayed in more Hotels than at home, so would he feel a little withdrawal symptom being more at home?

I remember reading an interview of Rahul Dravid’s wife, when he retired. She said she would make him help more at home chores, like going to the supermarket, buying veggies etc.,. For many, it was a funny thing to imagine! The “Wall” standing in a queue, though I have come to know that he does stand in a queue, may be not to buy veggies, but for other things like voting etc.,

Retirement phase would require a LOT of mental adjustments for each & everyone. Whatever profession that person has been carrying out. It is moving out of one routine & taking up another! A HUGE Change! If you are idyllic person like me, who used to fantasize on being lazy & idle, like, being a couch potato, retirement would be the last thing to do!!!

Retirement ideally means a stop of things that you would normally do & start of something different. We go through this phase quiet often in our life! Right from our childhood, we retire being a child who stays at home, the minute we are put in play-school or school. The minute we pass our boards, we retire being a school goer, Once we graduate, we retire from our college life. More impacting, we retire from our bachelor or spinsterhood, the minute we get married! So, what is it that is so different from our work retirement, that actually makes us think things differently? Is it our age, that stops welcoming changes? (so, it would be good to retire quiet early isn’t it?)

Retirement is something that is a must for anyone of us & something each & everyone of us would face (fingers crossed) some day or the other! So, the more graceful we accept it, more enjoyable it would be! Yes, this is something I know but must accept as well! I am sure Dhoni would be doing a much better job than me!

1 comment:

  1. Well said
    Especially the pasing phase school, college, bachelor, marriage etc

    ReplyDelete